Master of Science Program
- Applications are for autumn quarter admissions only
- Applicants must apply to a specific track (for example, “computational geosciences”) in the application under the academic interest field; the application is only considered for that specific track
- Application can be submitted to one track only (it is Stanford policy that an applicant can submit one application only for admission to a particular term)
- All tracks are designed to be completed in two years
- C.V. is strongly recommended
Applicants to the ICME graduate program may apply either to the MS program or to the PhD program, but may not apply to both.
- Admission to the PhD program is much more competitive than to the MS program, therefore students interested primarily in a Master's degree should apply to the MS program.
- ICME does not offer the choice for applicants not admitted to the PhD program to be re-considered for MS program admission.
- See the application deadlines page for important dates
For Current Stanford Students
Relevant university policy can be found in the Stanford Bulletin
- The coterm online application can be found at https://www.applyweb.com/stanterm/
- The application and letters of recommendation must be received by the deadline (corresponding decision dates are also listed on this page). Admitted students should respond directly to the department to any offer of admission: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Courses taken two quarters prior to the first graduate quarter or later are eligible for consideration for transfer to the graduate career. No courses taken prior to the first quarter of the sophomore year may be used to meet master’s degree requirements
- University policies and procedures for coterm programs may be found at: https://registrar.stanford.edu/students/coterminal-degree-programs
- The GRE is not required for CME coterm applications.
Coterm Application materials:
- Statement of Purpose - concise, focused, and well written. Please include your track choice
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (Stanford faculty preferred)
- Current Stanford transcript (unofficial, with earned unit total and GPA listed) as well as transcripts from any classes taken outside of Stanford
Grad Auth Petition for current Stanford Ph.D. students:
- Only for students with declared Ph.D. candidacy in other departments at Stanford
- A fee of $150 will be automatically assessed by the Registrar's Office when the offer of admission is accepted and a new program is opened
- Send an email request to receive the department-specific application, recommendation form, and required program proposal: email@example.com
- The Grad Auth Petition will not be considered for current Stanford MS students to add the CME-MS or to transfer their program to ICME.
Honors Cooperative Program (HCP)
The Honors Cooperative Program (HCP) through the Stanford Center for Professional Development (SCPD), allows students to pursue graduate study on a part-time basis. HCP students are fully matriculated graduate students of Stanford University with all privileges, rights, and responsibilities. Explore the Stanford Center for Professional Development website for more information.
HCP applicants should follow the same application process as general applicants and should confirm "HCP" status on the application. Please note admission is only for autumn quarter entry.