Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Graduate Funding

Main content start

The Institute for Computational and Mathematical Engineering (ICME) guarantees all incoming PhD students fellowship support in the first year. Financial support via research and/or teaching assistantships is guaranteed through the completion of the program for students making satisfactory progress.  Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for external fellowships. 

ICME does not offer guaranteed financial support for MS students; you should not plan on attending Stanford if such support is essential to you.


Stanford Graduate Fellowship

The Stanford Graduate Fellowship is a prestigious, three-year University award intended for outstanding candidates in graduate study in science and engineering leading to the PhD. The fellowship is selectively awarded to entering graduate students who are pursuing a PhD in ICME. The award provides a quarterly stipend and tuition for 8-10 units per quarter for 12 quarters. Admitted students to the doctoral program are automatically considered for this fellowship.

Graduate Fellowship

The School of Engineering and Department Fellowships are awarded to all entering ICME PhD students. Recipients receive 8-10 units of tuition per quarter and a quarterly stipend, for anywhere from three to five quarters.

Knight-Hennessy Scholars 

The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program is designed to build a multidisciplinary community of Stanford graduate students dedicated to finding creative solutions to the world's greatest challenges. The program awards up to 100 high-achieving students every year with full funding to pursue a graduate education at Stanford, including the MS and PhD in ICME.


External Fellowships

ICME highly recommends that students apply for fellowships from outside resources. The following selected list of external fellowships may be relevant to ICME students. Application deadlines for external fellowships are not controlled by ICME; please be sure to learn about application timelines via the links provided below:


Stanford offers two types of assistantship appointments: Research and Teaching.

Research Assistantships

Research Assistantships (RAs) are available to continuing MS and PhD students, and more rarely, new graduate students. In most cases, assistantships are awarded by individual faculty who have the necessary research funding. Typically, students who have successfully arranged for an RA appointment have secured it by contacting a faculty member directly. A majority of RAs are in the PhD program; there are occasional RA appointments available for MS students.

Research Assistants typically receive 8-10 units of tuition coverage and a monthly salary to cover living expenses (paid semi-monthly and subject to state and federal tax withholding) in exchange for 20 hours of work per week (50% RA). Some students opt to work fewer hours per week; their salary and tuition benefits are adjusted accordingly. Information on tuition rates is available from: Engineering Tuition Rates

Teaching and Course Assistantships

Teaching/Course Assistantships (TA/CAs) are offered only to continuing students by ICME. These assistantships can only be arranged once you are a registered student, and are negotiated one quarter in advance. TA/CAs typically provide recipients with tuition coverage of 8-10 units and a monthly salary (paid semi-monthly and subject to state and federal tax withholding), requiring 20 hours of work per week (50% TA/CA). Reduced hours (10 hours per week, 25% TA/CA) may also be available, with salary and tuition benefits adjusted accordingly. TA/CAs must attend the TA Orientation offered by the Center for Teaching and Learning

Financial Aid

The only form of financial aid available is in the form of student loans. In order to qualify, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident. Information regarding student loans and application packets can be obtained by visiting the Financial Aid Office website. Information on sources of financial support including fellowships, assistantships, and outside awards is available from the Graduate Admissions section of the Registrar's Office.