Skip to:


All incoming Ph.D. students are guaranteed fellowship support in the first year, followed by support through teaching assistantships in the second year. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for external fellowships.

ICME does not offer guaranteed financial support for M.S. students and you should not plan on attending Stanford if such support is essential to you.


Stanford Graduate Fellowship

The Stanford Graduate Fellowship is a prestigious, three-year University award and is intended for outstanding candidates in graduate study in science and engineering leading to the Ph.D. The fellowship is selectively awarded to entering graduate students who are pursuing a Ph.D. in ICME. The award provides a quarterly stipend and tuition for 8-10 units per quarter for 12 quarters. Admitted students to the doctoral program are automatically considered for this fellowship.

Graduate Fellowship

The School of Engineering and Department Fellowships are awarded to all entering ICME Ph.D. students. Recipients receive 8-10 units of tuition per quarter and a quarterly stipend, for anywhere from three to five quarters.

External Fellowships

ICME highly recommends that students apply for fellowships from outside resources. The following are a selected list of external fellowships relevant to ICME students.  Application deadlines for external fellowships are not controlled by ICME, so please be sure to learn about application timelines via the links provideed below:

Fellowships: See websites for deadlines
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program
Society of Women Engineers
DOE-Computational Science
The Google 2008 Anita Borg Scholarship
Hertz Foundation


Stanford offers two types of assistantship appointments: research and teaching.

Research Assistantships

Research Assistantships (RAs) are available to continuing M.S. and Ph.D. Students, and more rarely, new graduate students. In most cases, assistantships are awarded by individual faculty who have the necessary research funding. Typically, students who have successfully arranged for an RA appointment have secured it by contacting a faculty member directly. A majority of Research Assistants are in the Ph.D. program; there are occasional RA appointments available for M.S. students.

Research assistants typically receive 8-10 units of tuition coverage and a monthly salary to cover living expenses (paid semi-monthly and subject to state and federal tax withholding) in exchange for 20 hours of work per week (50% RA). Some students opt to work fewer hours per week, and their salary and tuition benefits are adjusted accordingly. Information with regards to tuition rates is available from:  Engineering Tuition Rates.

Teaching and Course Assistantships

Teaching/Course assistantships are offered only to continuing students by ICME. These assistantships can only be arranged once you are a registered student, and negotiated one quarter in advance. TA/CAs typically provide recipients with tuition coverage of 8-10 units and a monthly salary (paid semi-monthly and subject to state and federal tax withholding), requiring 20 hours of work per week (50% TA/CA). Reduced hours (10 hours per week, 25% TA/CA) may also be available, with salary and tuition benefits adjusted accordingly. TA/CAs must attend the TA Orientation offered by the Center for Teaching and Learning.

Financial Aid

The only form of financial aid is in the form of student loans. In order to qualify, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Information regarding student loans and application packets can be obtained by calling the Financial Aid Office at (650) 723-3058. Information on sources of financial support including fellowships, assistantships, and outside awards is available from the Graduate Admissions section of the Registrar's Office.